Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The BIG announcement

Well, it’s absolutely true. We’re having a baby! ‘FINALLY!’ as everyone likes to add! Currently I am about 3 months along and the due date is set for November 25th, right before Thanksgiving! We are very nervous and very excited!

We’ve already had our first Ultrasound (on the 21st) and everything appears to be normal according to the doctor. It was absolutely amazing getting to see our child for the first time. It was especially awesome when we got to see the heart beating and when he/she finally started to wake up and move during the ultrasound. It’s still just too much to wrap our heads around right now!



The baby’s heart was beating at 158 bpm which is amazingly fast, but apparently absolutely normal at this stage. Everyone keeps telling us that a fast heartbeat like this indicates a girl, but the doctors said nothing about this. Also, they measured the baby at 7.2 cm long which converts to just less than three inches for anyone not used to the metric system. Our next ultrasound is scheduled at the end of June when we can hopefully find out the sex. And for everyone wondering, YES, we do plan on finding out and, YES, we plan on letting other people know. (Do you know how much work it would be trying to keep that secret from the Grandmas! I’m already exhausted enough as is!)

So, during this ultrasound we were in the sonograph room for quite a while. They were trying to get a really good profile view to take some various measurements but the kid just would not roll over into the desired position. The sonographer started bouncing the sonograph wand up and down on my belly in an attempt to wake the baby up, or disturb it so that it would roll over, but he/she just would not roll at all! The sonogrpaher even had me roll onto my side to see if that would work, but to no avail. Finally, the doctor came in and was also bouncing the wand on my belly, but all our kid would do was move it's arms and legs in protest (probably in an effort to make obscene gestures at us all for our obvious disturbance of it's naptime...) So, in the end, they settled on the pictures they had already taken, which look just fine if you ask me! One thing's for sure though. We may not be able to determine the sex of our child yet, but one thing we can determine for sure after this visit.... our kid's most definitely going to be a Redhead because he/she's already being as stubborn as can be!

10 comments:

mike and chenoa said...

First!

Congratulations again. I'm excited to read all of your updates, see your cute belly grow, and meet your little baby.

So McDonald cousins, who's next? I nominate Johnny, which, of course, means he'd better find the Mrs. soon.

sara said...

I second the nomination for Johnny to be next in line....so long as the pressure is off me...

John McDonald said...

I've probably already got a few kids, so pressure is back on you Sara

Tanya A said...

That is sooo awesome you guys.....its great that your going to keep a blog about it too! You guys are just too cool! Congrats

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't mind seeing one from Heather either as far as that goes …

Anyway I just wanted to restate how honored I am that you are naming the child after me. Although R Bobby is a bit close to R Kelly and you'll want to protect him from information about that until he is a tad older. I just realized, maybe the R stands for Ricky and you are naming him after Ricky Bobby from Talladega Nights? I mean do what you want, we are both equally good role models. If I have to be pushed out by somebody…

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, also I agree you guys are too cool.

Tone it down a bit ok?

Will it be hard for Chad to hold on to little Bobby with his missing thumbs?

jamboise said...

That's so exciting! congratz. I can just see all the mini-little camping gear now. I wonder if you'll every be able to find a guinness hat small enough?
(xo jennie)

David and Tammy Jenkins said...

Congratulations!! That's great news! David & I are both very happy for you two, and we know the feeling of being both excited & nervous as our baby's due date gets closer!

Tammy & David Jenkins

Anonymous said...

>Holy Crap!!! Congrats to you Nicki and Chad!!!

Pradip said...

Yesterday I also got my wife's ultrasound report. She is 22+ weeks pregnant. This report also shows XY. When my wife asked him about to know it boy or girl? Dr. Says, take some sweet and go home. Nothing more then that. Pls anyone can say me,"what is the meaning of XY of ultrasound report"?.